Steam Engine

The rare interior shot of the main floor of Engine Co. 5’s quarters, known as “Central Station”.  The tin ceiling, electric lights, storage cabinets and steam radiator pipes demonstrate an austere but classic design.  The building, built in 1867, was the quarters of Ladder Co. 1 and Chemical Co. 1.

Engine 5, the self propelled engine, was placed in commission in 1903.  The driver controlled steering and acceleration, while the stoker on the back step handled the brakes. 

Hose 5 was next to the pumper, and Ladder 1 was across the floor. 

The propeller remained in service with Engine 5 until 1924 when it was replaced by a motorized pumper.  The cost of the unit was $9,000.00.

Back to Photos

 

© Portland Fire Museum 2002 [Home]
The Museum is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Portland Veteran Firemen's Association. Tax Exempt Non Profit Organization  501 (c) 3 
http://www.northerndynamics.com